Items you will need to apply for tags and title when moving from out-of-state:
1. TN driver’s license showing your Sumner County address. If you have not applied for your TN D/L, you will need to provided copies of two secondary proofs (see list below: https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/revenue/documents/vehicle/acceptableproofsofid.pdf.)
2. Most current out-of state registration; and
3. Out-of-State title. If the title is being held by a lienholder, you will need to provide the complete name and address of the lien holder.
4. Emission Certificate All Sumner County Vehicles model year 1975 and newer with a GVWR 10,500 or less are required to provide an emission compliance certificate when a license plate.
5. The fee for a TN title and plate good for one year is $91.00. Check should be made payable to: Sumner County Clerk. All leased vehicles will need a power of attorney from the leasing company authorizing your application for a TN title and $2.00 lease fee.
You can apply for title in the following methods:
In-Person - The County Administration Building in Gallatin our Dunn Street Hendersonville Office process in-person transactions. For safety reason the number of customers allowed inside the office will be limited. https://sumnertags.com/information/locations Title applications are accepted inside one of our offices at the MVD counter the drive-thru windows are for MVD renewals only.
Have additional Questions?
Leave your contact phone number at 615-452-4063 or Clerk@SumnerCountyTN.gov and we will call you.
Sumner County Clerk
355 N Belvedere Dr Rm 111
Gallatin, TN 37066-5410